Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Games MDA

The first reading is about game research, design, and, development by using the method MDA. MDA stands for Mechanic, 

Dynamics,

Aesthetics. 

Each of them have their own meaning which is-

 Mechanics describes the particular components of the game, at the level of data representation and algorithms.

Dynamics describes the run-time behavior of the mechanics acting on player inputs and each othersí outputs over time.

Aesthetics  describes the desirable emotional responses evoked in the player, when she interacts with the game system.

MDA suggests that games are more like artifacts than media. By this they mean the content of the game is it’s behaviour and not the media. I have learned that by thinking of games this way it helps create the idea that games build behaviour via interaction. This is a very interesting thought to me and I’ve never thought of it like that before. I always learn new things about games from reading these articles, and it interests me. I never really thought I was into gaming or games but I have to admit it is very interesting to get to know more about them and how they’re made. The link to this article is https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/MDA.pdf

Second Reading- This reading is about DDE, which is Design Dynamic Experience. The whole idea of DDE is to try and improve the previous method of MDA. This also looks at the game through the creator and the players perspective which makes sense I feel. It looks at what is going well and what isn’t going as well so they can work on this for the next game.


1 comment:

  1. I like how you have added a quick description of the three heading in MDA this makes it much clearer for me as a reader.
    I like your idea of games being more about interaction than what one might commonly assume, i think it gives games a much deeper meaning when looking at them from that sort of perspective and thinking about game interactions makes a game seem much more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Reading 12

 FINISHED, YAY!  I am so happy to see the end of this semester, To be honest I struggled a lot during these few weeks just with being so bus...