Sunday, October 18, 2020

Feedback Strategies

 I have read two articles about how to give feedback and learned a lot from them. 

Five Reasons to stop saying “good job!”

I read through this article and I completely agree. People are not asking you for feedback for you to say “good job”. I know myself personally I would prefer criticism than those two simple words “good job” it’s like an insult, a way of saying “ I didn’t really read it but I want to say something so I’ll just say this and hope it makes you feel good about your work” but realistically it doesn’t and it doesn’t help the writer or creator better themselves or get an insight into what people really think of their work. Of course not everyone’s opinions matter but if you’re looking for feedback from someone surely you care about what they think, therefore you’re looking for destructive feedback. It’s not just a phrase used when you’re asking for feedback on your work, it’s used for everything as stated in the article it’s even used to encourage children when they first start to clap their hands, draw their first picture and so on. Fine, it’s good enough for them but it is not the type of feedback you want to hear when you’re asking someone for their opinion on something you’ve worked hard on. Anyway, after reading this article I will be more conscious about the way I phrase my feedback and the effort I put into it. Sources- http://www.amblesideschools.com/sites/default/files/Five%20Reasons%20to%20Stop%20Saying%20%20Good%20Job!.pdf

How to give feedback without sounding like a jerk

The second article I read was this one. I actually feel like this was made for me to read. I literally can not give someone constructive feedback because I feel so guilty if I say anything that’s not “amazing” “great work” and so good on. I know more often than not they need to hear it, if their work isn’t the best they need to know, but not from me is what I always think. I just can’t be mean! Although after reading this article I have gained some ideas on how to give feedback but not sound mean, like putting praise at the start and end and then putting the criticism in the middle so it doesn’t seem as bad for the person receiving the feedback. I also learned that it is actually what they need and want to hear even if they don’t know it, they will thank you in the long run.

https://heleo.com/adam-grant-give-bad-feedback-without-jerk/8968/


1 comment:

  1. Hey ava! Hope you’re getting on well
    I agree completely with what you’re saying, I would rather the criticism then people saying good job, its just annoying. I also read the same articles and found them so interesting and ill definitely be taking all that on board when giving feedback!
    Hope your getting on good with all your modules, good luck assignments coming up! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Reading 12

 FINISHED, YAY!  I am so happy to see the end of this semester, To be honest I struggled a lot during these few weeks just with being so bus...